With the data from the last post, I can start working out what I can do and see what appeals to me.
Teal and turquoise figure largely in my clothes color choices already, so I would not have any issue with doing a project using the dark turquoise, but that “eye-burner” pink may be another story.
The sample square is now dry, and I believe that I lucked out on receiving these skeins. It’s a nice yarn.
With my size, the yardage is not sufficient for a cardigan. Vests, tank tops, scarves, or innumerable smaller projects would all work, however.
If I hold the yarn double, I think it would also work for my take on a Market Bag. I’d like to get away from using the plastic grocery bags, so I may just make a stack of various knit bags for shopping, project bags & gifts.
So now what do I do with this? When I purchase or spin yarn, I generally have some idea of the category of project I want to use it for. With this being a random stash expansion, I can look over what I have in order to figure out what I want to use it for.
How much of this do I have? I don’t have a scale here at home, but I do have a couple of measuring tools that will give me a starting point.
I have a homemade niddy-noddy. This was made with a few pieces of PVC and a couple “T” connectors. The center is eighteen inches, so one wrap around is approximately two yards.
None of the pink skeins look like they’ve been used at all, so I wound off one skein and came up with just over 300 yards, or 1,200 yards for the four skeins of pink.
One of the five skeins of the dark turquoise looks smaller, so I’m going to go with an estimate of 1,300 yards for it.
Then I wound a bit of the turquoise to check the wraps per inch to get an idea of the yarn thickness. I got 14 wpi, so per this Standard Yarn Weights Chart (It’s a useful chart that I found at Spinderellas.com - the pdf link is below), that puts it in the DK weight range. This is confirmed by the 300 yarns per skein, also, since these are probably about 3.75 ounce skeins.
I next did a mitered square block as a sample, and used about 27 yards (or a bit over a yard per square inch of the 5″x5″ square).
This gives me a fair bit to go on.
(Pdf link: Yarn Weights and Measures)
A good friend had an interesting fiber encounter. She was waiting in the car for her husband, when a gentleman approached and asked if she did crochet. She’s a sewist, so she replied that while she didn’t, she knew a knitter.
The man replied “That’s great! You can give her this yarn, then.” And he proceeded to start pulling skein after skein of dark turquoise and hot pink acrylic out of his backpack and passing it to her in the car.
My fiber time has suffered some shrinkage this week. I did keep in some discipline that helped keep some production going, but now I need to do some catch up time on a number of projects. The project list is also getting longer!
The lace overskirt hasn’t grown enough from the last photo to show in a new photo. The main progress on this project is that I sat down with the pattern editor and worked out the stitch pattern for the bottom tier.
This is a combination of Frost Flowers and Diamond Lace. I’m very happy with this use of the StitchMastery pattern editor!